Definition of trounce in English:
1Defeat heavily in a contest: Essex trounced Cambridgeshire 5-1 in the final
More example sentences
- Fylde gained ample revenge for an earlier 6-1 defeat by trouncing Arnside Reserves 10-1.
- Bury suffered their worst ever Football League Cup defeated when they were trounced 10-by West Ham.
- He jumped and travelled really well in that particular contest, as he trounced his opponent by 20 lengths.
defeat utterly, beat hollow, win a resounding victory over, annihilate, drub, rout, give someone a drubbing, crush, overwhelm, bring someone to their knees
informal hammer, clobber, thrash, paste, give someone a pasting, whip, pound, pulverize, massacre, crucify, demolish, destroy, wipe the floor with, take to the cleaners, make mincemeat of, murder, flatten, turn inside out, run rings around
US informal own
1.1Rebuke or punish severely: insider dealing has been roundly trounced
More example sentences
- Critics trounced it, because that's what they do... they're fickle like that.
- Meanwhile, the young woman in the leather suit had trounced several of the black-clad thugs.
- On more than one occasion, a self-appointed individual would take it upon himself to give me a severe trouncing.
Mid 16th century (also in the sense 'afflict'): of unknown origin.
- Example sentences
- Again, I am not a trouncer, but I want to say I feel it's legitimate to express a concern, and being compared to McCarthyite witchhunting, if that is the incident you refer to, is not a fair analogy.
- How dare he even mention her name when he is one of the worst trouncers of human rights everywhere?
- It was a close game, and from the early exchanges to the nail-biting finish, both teams gave everything they had - South Africa giving just that little bit more than their English counterparts to run out 36-0 trouncers.
Words that rhyme with trounceannounce, bounce, denounce, flounce, fluid ounce, jounce, mispronounce, ounce, pounce, pronounce, renounce
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan