Definition of truffle in English:
- Examples of mycorrhizal fungi include truffles and Auricularia, the mushroom which flavors sweet-and-sour soup.
- Upon closer inspection, the top of the truffle had grown a delicate little beard, white and fuzzy.
- Boletus and the famous truffles are examples of these types of mushrooms.
- I already knew that this Aztec-themed store sold excellent chocolates, ganaches and truffles, but I had never tried any of their pastries.
- She was just about to go to the confectioners and buy Frank some of the dark chocolate truffles he liked so much when out of the corner of her eye she saw someone striding forcefully towards her.
- Waiting for them was a strawberry scented bubble bath, a box of dark chocolate truffles, and a bottle of white wine.
This word for a type of fungus is probably via Dutch from obsolete French truffle, perhaps based on Latin tubera, the plural of tuber ‘hump, swelling’, also the source of tuber (late 17th century). Use of the word in confectionery dates from the 1920s. The related verb tumere ‘to swell’ is the source of tumult (Late Middle English)
Words that rhyme with truffleduffel, kerfuffle, muffle, ruffle, scuffle, shuffle, snuffle
Definition of truffle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.