noun (plural same or trumpetfishes)
- An elongated marine fish with a long, narrow snout, resembling a pipefish. It lives around reefs and rocks in tropical waters and typically hangs in a semi-vertical position.
More example sentences
- Family Aulostomidae and genus Aulostomus: several species
- Almost every day, we snorkel off a different island, dazzled by the brilliant, seemingly abundant sea life: angelfish, butterfly fish, damselfish, parrot fish, trumpetfish, schools of golden rays flying through the water.
- The parrotfish is used as a mobile camouflage screen, hiding the trumpetfish from the small reef fish on which it preys.
- Moray eels, garfish and trumpetfish were roaming and snapping at a plethora of potential prey.
More definitions of trumpetfishDefinition of trumpetfish in:
- The US English dictionary