Definition of tube worm in English:
1A marine bristle worm, especially a fan worm, which lives in a tube made from sand particles or in a calcareous tube that it secretes.
- Families Serpulidae and Sabellidae, phylum Polychaeta
- But he cherishes the occasional feather duster, a small tube worm that opens from live rock or other housing into a red and white umbrella of feathery tentacles, sifting the water for planktonic food.
- The baleen acts as a filter or strainer retaining only the food, which the whale maneuvers with its tongue so the gammarid amphipods, tube worms, mollusks, and other bottom invertebrates can be swallowed.
- During this first dive, the team did discover a garden possibly less than one year old with tiny tube worms, mussels and clams all living together.
1.1A pogonophoran or vestimentiferan worm.
- The presence of vestimentiferan tube worm fossils in the Figueroa deposit is at odds with the supposed time of origin of the modern vestimentiferans, based on molecular data.
- The Figueroa assemblage shares gastropods and vestimentiferan tube worms with both modern and other ancient vent communities, but is unique in containing rhynchonellide brachiopods.
- ONE OF the most conspicuous groups of animals living in deep-sea chemosynthetic communities at hydrothermal vents are large vestimentiferan tube worms.
Definition of tube worm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.