Definition of tuff in English:
A light, porous rock formed by consolidation of volcanic ash.
- Among the 30 different types of stone recognized are varieties of diorite, granite, bedded tuff, sandstones, limestones, and tufa.
- Lenses incorporate varicoloured tuffaceous cherts intercalated with tuffaccous mudstone and tuff.
- The lower series consists of alternating basalt lava, tuff breccia, tufite, and siliceous rock, whereas the upper one is dominated by diabase.
- Example sentences
- Further up section the geology is dominated by a succession of unmetamorphosed but strongly fractured and veined blocky andesites, basalts and tuffaceous rocks.
- In addition, there are tuffaceous (volcanic ash) layers at various horizons throughout the Green River Formation.
- Built of uniformly gray, granular volcanic tufa, or peperino, the courtyard was completed by 1579, as recorded in the building documents.
Words that rhyme with tuffbluff, buff, chough, chuff, cuff, duff, enough, fluff, gruff, guff, huff, luff, puff, rough, ruff, scruff, scuff, slough, snuff, stuff, Tough
Definition of tuff in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan