- A bulbous spring-flowering plant of the lily family, with boldly coloured cup-shaped flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Tulipa, family Liliaceae: numerous complex hybrids
- It is the season to plant flowering bulbs such as tulips, narcissi, crocuses and hyacinths.
- Fall is the time to plant the tulips, daffodils and hyacinths that bloom in the spring.
- These are the places to plant colorful tulips, daffodils and other spring bulbs now.
late 16th century: from French tulipe, via Turkish from Persian dulband 'turban', from the shape of the expanded flower.
More definitions of tulipDefinition of tulip in:
- The US English dictionary