noun[mass noun] North American & Australian/NZ
A plant of arid regions which breaks off near the ground in late summer, forming light globular masses which are tumbled about by the wind.
- Genera Salsola (family Chenopodiaceae) and Amaranthus (family Amaranthaceae)
More example sentences
- He enters the classroom in a blinding heavenly light, to the accompaniment of whistling winds and rolling tumbleweed that usually accompanies Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western.
- Even tumbleweed can't go on blowing down dusty streets for ever.
- Charles half expected to hear at once sharp cracks of sticks and tumbleweed, to which he would coax himself were just tree squirrels, or other creatures.
Definition of tumbleweed in:
- The US English dictionary