noun (plural tumuli /-lʌɪ, -liː/)
- An ancient burial mound; a barrow.More example sentences
- Farmer Bob Frearson is in the process of putting up fences to prevent 4x4 drivers getting on to his land and using ancient burial mounds, or tumuli, as an off-road assault course.
- The tumuli, or ancient burial mounds, are obvious enough and we have always been able to work around them.
- At first cremation was the rule, as were flat or low graves, though later the tumulus or raised barrow became standard.
late Middle English: from Latin; related to tumere 'swell'.
More definitions of tumulusDefinition of tumulus in:
- The US English dictionary