noun (plural same or tunas)
- A large and active predatory schooling fish of warm seas, extensively fished commercially and popular as a game fish. See also tunny.
More example sentences
- Thunnus and other genera, family Scombridae: several species, including the albacore, bigeye, bluefin, skipjack, and yellowfin
- The aim is to reduce the incidental catch of gamefish like marlin while allowing stocks of swordfish, oceanic sharks and tuna to replenish themselves.
- Tom Fitzgerald said fish landings were down on the previous year because of the ban on tuna drift net fishing and severe restrictions on quotas of other species.
- As a rule, I avoid lumps of grilled tuna: it's fish for people who don't like eating fish, or just don't like eating.
late 19th century: from American Spanish, from Spanish atún 'tunny'.