- The chemical element of atomic number 74, a hard steel-grey metal of the transition series. It has a very high melting point (3410°C) and is used to make electric light filaments. (Symbol: W)More example sentences
- Kyrgyzstan has deposits of gold, coal, bismuth, mercury, antimony, tungsten, and copper.
- While most bullets have been jacketed with copper-zinc alloy, a variety of other hard metals, including tungsten, have been used.
- The metals tungsten and copper both exhibit very high ductilities.
late 18th century: from Swedish, from tung 'heavy' + sten 'stone'.
More definitions of tungstenDefinition of tungsten in:
- The US English dictionary