Definition of tunic in English:
1A loose garment, typically sleeveless and reaching to the knees, as worn in ancient Greece and Rome.
- This garment was a wool or linen tunic reaching the knee, with baggy, elbow length sleeves and side slits up to the waist to allow free movement.
- Over the tunic he wore a scapula, a long tunic with wide, three-quarter length sleeves, usually of a darker undyed wool.
- Some had old clothing, from ancient togas and tunics to overalls and denim.
1.1A loose, thigh-length garment, worn typically by women over a skirt or trousers: [as modifier]: A-line tunic tops
More example sentences
- She has the same fashion sense as her mother, always wearing trousers and a loose tunic instead of a gown.
- The school already allowed girls to wear a headscarf with the shalwar kameez - loose trousers and tunic approved by local Muslim leaders.
- He was in the matching tunic and trousers dressmaker Sarah had designed to match the gown of his bride.
2A close-fitting short coat as part of a uniform, especially a police or military uniform.
- All school aged children from both public and private schools are required to wear a uniform, usually a tunic with a white blouse wore underneath.
- The 45-strong squad is to begin fund-raising soon to enable them either to make or buy their own glittering tunics and uniforms.
- In the Franco-Prussian war there were three regiments, which fought fiercely at Wissembourg and Wörth, in their distinctive short light-blue tunics.
3.1 Botany Any of the concentric layers of a plant bulb, e.g. an onion.
- Tulips have a brown papery coating called a tunic.
- The scale leaves are under the tunic and hold all the nutrients needed to grow the cultivar.
- Avoid bulbs with spindly, pale stem growth, active root growth, missing tunic (the skin on the bulb) and surface mould or disease.
3.2 Zoology The rubbery outer coat of a sea squirt.
- The muscle fiber types used for slow jetting, hovering and respiration are located immediately beneath the inner and outer tunics.
- The entire package is protected by a thin outer skin called the tunic.
- The body of the zooid and tunic is transparent enough for the observation of heartbeats.
Words that rhyme with tunicMunich, Punic, runic
Definition of tunic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.