noun (plural tupelos)
- A North American or Asian tree of damp and swampy habitats, which yields useful timber.
More example sentences
- Genus Nyssa, family Nyssaceae: several species, in particular N. sylvatica (also called pepperidge)
- The champion tupelos have immense, gnarled bulbous bases - each with hollow sections.
- Frame-by-frame analyses show a bird perched on a tupelo trunk, with a distinctive white pattern on its back.
- If rhododendrons thrive on your soil, plant the Pagoda Bush or the Chinese tupelo.
mid 18th century: from Creek, from ito 'tree' + opilwa 'swamp'.
More definitions of TupeloDefinition of tupelo in:
- The US English dictionary