Definition of turnpike in English:
1 historical A toll gate.
1.1 (also turnpike road) A road on which a toll was collected at a toll gate.
- It was apparently built as a toll house on the old turnpike road between York and Scarborough.
- The average length of a turnpike road was 30 miles, and the number of trustees varied from 15 to 237.
- It used to take four hours to get to London by coach along the turnpike road.
2 historical A spiked barrier fixed in or across a road or passage as a defence against sudden attack.
- Half the horses in London never see a turnpike gate.
- The formation of drains beside and beneath turnpikes, an important facet of road construction, has received little comment in contemporary sources.
Definition of turnpike in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.