Definition of turntable in English:
1A circular revolving plate supporting a record as it is played.
- We've got three men armed with turntables, a cassette recorder, percussion, a bass guitar, and a busted CD player all beating each other up for attention.
- The attics will be ransacked, the old turntables and cassette decks will be dusted down.
- Other crews will bring their sound systems - turntables, microphones and speakers and voices.
1.1 (turntables) A set of two or more record decks connected to sound mixing equipment, used by a DJ: the two DJs who preside over the turntables play all kinds of cool electronica
More example sentences
- Inside it's dark, but you can make out a raised platform occupied by a DJ and her turntables.
- They brought enthusiasm, a gong, some bongos, and turntables, yet aside from some light effects, played a surprisingly serene set.
- The tour will provide the Zumba class experience with Lil John on the turntables.
2A circular revolving platform for turning a railway locomotive or other vehicle.
- Switches, turntables, engine houses, station houses, platforms, and all the appurtenances of a railway system are built of the very best material and in a very substantial manner.
- It was planned to build a two-stall engine house with a turntable at Dundalk, but it was not to happen.
- This diminutive little switcher moved permanently to the cold climate of Seattle to become the turntable switcher at Interbay yard.
Definition of turntable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.