Definition of turps in English:
noun[mass noun] informal
- Almost complete, Honister dominates a studio where massive brushes await the maestro's stroke and heavy smells of linseed oil and turps fill the still hot afternoon air.
- Her eyes challenged me, potent, like a peregrine falcon's, but the beguiling scent of turps and linseed oil drew me to her canvas.
- The night Vine painted her now infamous Diana painting, the air was thick with the smell of turps, linseed oil and paint.
- on the turps
- Australian /NZ informal Drinking alcohol, especially in large quantities: I can go to the pub and get on the turpsMore example sentences
- Can you imagine anything better than a hot roast pork sandwich after a night on the turps?
- Only a tiny minority of this group are daring enough to even contemplate another punishing night on the turps.
- It only seems like yesterday he was throwing up in the back garden after a heavy night on the turps.
Early 19th century: abbreviation.
Definition of turps in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.