Definition of turps in English:
noun[mass noun] informal
- Almost complete, Honister dominates a studio where massive brushes await the maestro's stroke and heavy smells of linseed oil and turps fill the still hot afternoon air.
- Her eyes challenged me, potent, like a peregrine falcon's, but the beguiling scent of turps and linseed oil drew me to her canvas.
- The night Vine painted her now infamous Diana painting, the air was thick with the smell of turps, linseed oil and paint.
Early 19th century: abbreviation.
on the turps
- Australian /NZ informal Drinking alcoholic liquor excessively: I can go to the pub and get on the turpsMore example sentences
- He can't remember much else about his night on the turps.
- Can you imagine anything better than a hot roast pork sandwich after a night on the turps?
- Only a tiny minority of this group are daring enough to even contemplate another punishing night on the turps.
Words that rhyme with turpsmumps • goosebumps
Definition of turps in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan