noun (plural same or Tutsis)
A member of a people forming a minority of the population of Rwanda and Burundi but who formerly dominated the Hutu majority. Historical antagonism between the peoples led in 1994 to large-scale ethnic violence, especially in Rwanda.
- As in Rwanda, the fighting in Burundi pits the ethnic minority Tutsi against the majority Hutu.
- The warring Hutus and Tutsis of Rwanda speak the one language.
- Altogether some 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus are estimated to have been killed in Rwanda's genocide.
Relating to the Tutsi.
- Driven into exile, Tutsi children formed the rebel Rwandan Patriotic Front.
- The Burundian army said it was braced for further attacks on Tutsi refugee camps.
- Traditionally, male Tutsi children are given extensive training in public speaking, storytelling, traditional dances, and military skills.
A local name. See also Watusi.
Words that rhyme with TutsiAbruzzi, footsie, tootsie
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Tutsi
Definition of Tutsi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.