- A female ballet dancer’s costume consisting of a bodice and an attached skirt incorporating numerous layers of fabric, this being either short and stiff and projecting horizontally from the waist (the classical tutu) or long, soft, and bell-shaped (the romantic tutu).More example sentences
- Actually on that Thursday morning, approximately half of the tutus did arrive - bodices without any decoration, made for one dancer - and skirts for another.
- The grand pas de deux was danced in white with red trim and while Kitri's costume was beautiful the stiff tutu lacked grace.
- It was beautiful - it had a short, puffy skirt that reminded me of a ballet tutu, with rhinestones decorating it, and a sleek and sexy shirt that hugged my boyish curves, and made me think that I looked beautiful.
early 20th century: from French, child's alteration of cucu, informal diminutive of cul 'buttocks'.
- A New Zealand shrub which bears poisonous purplish-black berries.
More example sentences
- Coriaria arborea, family Coriariaceae
- I have seen as many as half a dozen kakapos shaken off one tutu bush this way.
mid 19th century: from Maori.