- A European shad (fish) with a deep blue back, silvery sides, and some spotting.
More example sentences
- Alosa fallax, family Clupeidae
- Unlike salmon, allis and twaite shad - which breed in just a few rivers in the United Kingdom - are unable to jump weirs, dams, and other man-made obstacles to migration.
- In Europe, the principal species are Alosa alosa, the allis shad, and A. fallax, the twaite shad.
- These twaite shad can be caught on fly or spinner and they fight majestically.
early 17th century (as twaite): of unknown origin.
More definitions of twaite shadDefinition of twaite shad in:
- The US English dictionary