Definition of twelve-step in English:
Denoting or relating to a process of recovery from an addiction by following a twelve-stage programme, especially one devised or similar to that devised by Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Through AA and its allies, both the concept of addiction and AA's twelve-step method became widely accepted modes of defining and treating personal problems.
- The third article presents a twelve-step approach to alcohol problems.
- Perhaps this twelve-step approach has helped some people suffering from sexual addiction.
verb[no object] (often as noun twelve-stepping) Back to top
Undergo a twelve-step programme.
- My brother (several months sober at the time) had twelve-stepped me into Al-Anon a few years earlier.
- But you're right, something about twelve-stepping doesn't sit well with me, so I'm looking for a better path.
- Beer: it's a national pastime, a vice, a Saturday night solace, a problem to be twelve-stepped over and now, it's a newsgroup.
- twelve-stepper noun
- Example sentences
- Several of them were either alcoholics or proselytizing twelve-steppers.
- While I was in L.A., I saw a friend of mine who's a professional twelve-stepper.
Definition of twelve-step in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.