Definition of twiddle one's thumbs in English:
1Rotate one’s thumbs round each other with the fingers linked together.
- ‘Well, you followed me,’ Trent pointed out with a smile, twiddling his thumbs together as he made himself more comfortable on the ground.
- ‘He says some b-b-bad things to me sometimes,’ Jamie said twiddling his thumbs together nervously.
- She began twiddling her thumbs together and staring at the wall ahead of her.
1.1Be bored or idle because one has nothing to do: I have been sitting here for goodness knows how long twiddling my thumbs
More example sentences
- Everyone sat around looking embarrassed and twiddling their thumbs as usual.
- If I didn't come here in the night, I'd be sitting around at home, twiddling my thumbs and thinking about going to a real bar.
- All that sitting around twiddling my thumbs, and pretty soon even the dishes seemed like an interesting option.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan