Definition of twopenn'orth in English:
1An amount of something that is worth or costs twopence: twopenn’orth of twist
More example sentences
- With a penn'orth of ceiling white, twopenn'orth of lime and a penn'orth of colour powder plus the enforced help of two very reluctant sisters, the house was re-decorated.
- Last Saturday night me and my little Emma here, we sold 7 pounds worth of whelks between eight and half past eleven o'clock - and almost all in penn'orths and twopenn'orths - a few, hap'orths, but not many.
add (or put in) one's twopenn'orth
- informal Contribute one’s opinion.Example sentences
- I know everyone's slagging it off but I'll have to add my twopenn'orth.
- As usual when I start reading a thread like this, I itch to add my twopenn'orth (/ two cents worth), then I read on and find that others have beaten me to it and I'm left with about a hap'orth (/ half a cent's worth).
- My twopenn'orth would be that the ‘problem’ occurs because of a conflating of print and web design criteria.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India