- another term for tympanites (used especially in veterinary medicine).More example sentences
- This pathological condition is called guttural pouch tympany, and surgical treatment is necessary for affected foals to recover from this disease.
- Accordingly, when percussing a patient's abdomen in the presence of ascites, areas of dullness and tympany should shift depending on whether the patient is lying supine or on his or her side.
- Guttural pouch tympany is observed in horses ranging from birth to 1 yr of age and is more common in fillies than in colts.
early 16th century: from Greek tumpanias, from tumpanon (see tympanum).
More definitions of tympanyDefinition of tympany in:
- The US English dictionary