- 1 Archaeology A site where objects or materials regarded as defining the characteristics of a particular period were found.More example sentences
- Few plant remains have been recovered from any of the previously excavated sites, including the Millville type site east of Prairie du Chien along the Wisconsin River.
- Raddatz points have straight edges and some from the type site were clearly retouched, indicating multiple use as hafted knives.
- Interpretation of this Sponemann phase type site has been a matter of contention among archaeologists concerned with defining the Late Woodland-Emergent Mississippian transition.
- 2 another term for type locality ( sense 1).