- The shocks absorber setting allows maximum contact between the tire and the road surface.
- In situations where you would expect understeer on street tyres, the sticky rubber endows the front end with amazing grip.
- The Rascal is a tracked vehicle with six double road wheels with rubber tyres on each side.
- The derailed train cars were carrying tires and mixed merchandise.
- These vehicles are not Hi-Rail equipped but do have a steel flange fastened on the inside of the tires.
- One problem the team had to overcome was that zinc oxide, which is an essential component of the tires, disrupts the coupling process.
- [in combination]: a rubber-tyred vehicle
Late 15th century (denoting the curved pieces of iron plate with which carriage wheels were formerly shod): perhaps a variant of archaic tire, shortening of attire (because the tyre was the ‘clothing’ of the wheel).
In the past wheelwrights strengthened the outside of the wheels of carts with curved pieces of iron plate called the tire, probably a shortened form of attire (an ME word originally meaning to put in order), because the tyre was the ‘clothing’ of the wheel. Originally the spellings tire and tyre were interchangeable, but in the 17th century tire became the settled spelling, which has remained the spelling in the USA. In Britain the development of the pneumatic tyre seemed to require some differentiation from the metal rim, and tyre was revived.
Words that rhyme with tyreacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
Definition of tyre in:
Definition of tyre in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.