noun (plural same or Tzotzils)
1A member of an American Indian people inhabiting parts of southern Mexico.
- Mr Sterk says that, when evangelicals first come in, the Tzotzils want to defend their spiritual world.
- From then on, nearly three hundred Indians, mainly Tzotzils, have converted to Islam in Chiapas.
- That shared commitment to peace has brought us and the Tzotzils of Chenalhó together to learn from each other.
2 [mass noun] The Mayan language of the Tzotzil.
- They sit on the rim of the back of the truck, laughing and joking in their native tongue of Tzotzil while holding on for dear life.
- Tzotzil appears to contrast both physical and mental proximity, if I'm reading my source right.
Relating to the Tzotzil or their language.
- In Chiapas, Maya of the Tzeltal and Tzotzil tribes took part in the Zapatista uprising of January 1994.
- A native of the Tzotzil ethnic group, she lives in a small rural town 130 miles away from San Cristóbal de las Casas, the capital city of the southern Mexican state of Chiapas.
- Tzotzil people make up the largest indigenous group in Mexic´s southernmost state of Chiapas.
The name in Tzotzil.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Tzo|tzil
Definition of Tzotzil in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.