noun (plural uakaris)
- A short-tailed monkey with a long, coarse coat and a bare red, white, or black face, found in the Amazon rainforest.
More example sentences
- Genus Cacajao, family Cebidae: two or three species
- On a research visit to German zoos, he glimpsed his first uakari and saki monkeys, species indigenous to Brazil.
- The black uakari is predominantly quadrupedal - walking, running and leaping with great frequency.
- The sakis, bearded sakis, and uakaris belong to the subfamily Pitheciinae and all have long shaggy hair.
mid 19th century: from Tupi.