- A cavalryman armed with a lance as a member of various European armies.More example sentences
- The lancers wore the czapka of the Polish uhlans, the hussars wore the dolmans of Hungarian horsemen.
- Both uhlan and czapska derive from Turkish and clearly associate the Polish lancers with origins in Turkey.
- The train moved back to Radziwillow, where it was next captured by the uhlans of the 2nd squadron on May 24, 1920.
mid 18th century: via French and German from Polish (h)ulan, from Turkish oğlan 'youth, servant'.
More definitions of uhlanDefinition of uhlan in:
- The US English dictionary