- Irish bagpipes played held on the knee using bellows worked by the elbow, and having three extra pipes on which chords can be played.More example sentences
- At the forefront of the Irish traditional music scene, along with the likes of Altan and Sligo's own Dervish, this critically-acclaimed five-piece offer a unique blend of fiddle, flute, uillean pipes and guitar.
- Maddy will be joined on stage by Nick Holland on keyboards and Troy Donockley on uillean pipes, guitar, cittern and whistle.
- ‘Irish airs, the uillean pipes - music like that affects me physically,’ she said.
early 20th century: from Irish píob uilleann, literally 'pipe of the elbow'.
More definitions of uillean pipesDefinition of uillean pipes in:
- The US English dictionary