- An early fossil hoofed mammal of the Eocene epoch, with a heavy rhinoceros-like body and a grotesque head with several bony horn-like swellings and long canine teeth.
More example sentences
- Family Uintatheriidae, order Dinocerata, including Uintatherium
- Mammals included many giant yet small-brained rhinoceros-like types - the Asiamerican uintatheres, and brontotheres and the African arsinoitheres.
- Many types of large mammals disappear, including all the uintatheres and brontotheres and indricotheres.
- Eocene uintatheres sported several blunt pairs of horns that were probably covered by skin.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Uintatherium, from Uinta(h), the name of a mountain range in Utah, US (where remains were found), + Greek thērion 'wild beast'.