Entry from US English dictionary
More definitions of UitlanderDefinition of Uitlander in:
- The US English dictionary
- A foreigner or outsider.More example sentences
- The official rationale, for presentation to the British public, was that of protecting the rights of uitlanders in the Republics, but the real reason was the need to lay hands on the recently discovered Transvaal gold.
- With his fresh, brushy style, Podeswa gives a bright and quirky view of the townships as seen by an uitlander.
- The refusal of political rights to uitlanders aggravated the situation, as did the aggressive attitude of Lord Milner, British High Commissioner.
Afrikaans, from Dutch uit 'out' + land 'land'.