- A highly weathered leached red or reddish-yellow acid soil with a clay-rich B horizon, occurring in warm, humid climates.More example sentences
- Upland soils are highly weathered alfisols and ultisols, with large clay fractions and chert intermixed throughout the profile.
- Very thick root mats inside forest litter have been described in undisturbed tropical forests growing on atypical soils such as giant podzols, but less dramatic root mats can be found beneath forests on more typical oxisols and ultisols.
- The species is extremely rare throughout its range, being known from wet savannas on calcium-influenced ultisol soils in southeastern North Carolina, Florida and Georgia.
1960s: from ultimate + Latin solum 'soil'.
More definitions of ultisolDefinition of ultisol in:
- The US English dictionary