Definition of ultraviolet in English:
- Diode lasers are now available in discrete colors from the infrared to blue and into the near ultraviolet.
- But what is so special about water that makes its absorptions extend all the way from the far infrared to the near ultraviolet?
- Most medical lasers emit light which are either ultraviolet, infrared or in the visible spectrum of light.
- The processor industry-backed company developing extreme ultraviolet lithography chip-making equipment has demonstrated its first prototype.
- The 59-year-old women were both photographed with special ultraviolet cameras that captured every sun-induced blemish on their faces and another camera that recorded wrinkles.
- Taylor advised students ‘to help the police and yourself and keep all laptops and computers out of sight, and have valuables marked with ultraviolet pens to help us trace stolen property.’
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- Once CFCs are released into the atmosphere, only strong ultraviolet radiation can break them down.
- Broad-spectrum ultraviolet radiation from the sun or artificial light sources was added as a known carcinogen.
- The ultraviolet radiation in natural sunlight was later identified as a mutagen.
Ultraviolet radiation spans wavelengths from about 10 nm to 400 nm, and is an important component of sunlight, although the ozone layer prevents much of it from reaching the earth’s surface. While ultraviolet is necessary for the production of vitamin D2 in the skin, it is now known that excessive exposure can be harmful, causing skin cancer and genetic mutation
Words that rhyme with ultravioletinviolate
Definition of ultraviolet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.