- A category of taste in food (besides sweet, sour, salt, and bitter), corresponding to the flavour of glutamates, especially monosodium glutamate.More example sentences
- Mammals can basically sense tastes of sweet, sour, bitterness, salt, and umami (the taste of monosodium glutamate).
- Bitter, sweet, and umami flavours in food make the wine seem more bitter.
- Saltiness in foods high in umami neutralizes the bitter or metallic tastes in the wine you drink with these foods.
Japanese, literally 'deliciousness'.
More definitions of umamiDefinition of umami in:
- The US English dictionary