Definition of umbellifer in English:
A plant of the parsley family, having its flowers arranged in umbels.
- Family Umbelliferae: numerous genera and species
- This is why it is important to have a good cross-section of indigenous plants that will host predators, such as umbellifers like fennel and dill that attract hoverfly larvae that eat aphids.
- The silphium plant, a sturdy umbellifer (though with some untypical features), was a regular Cyrenaic coin type for hundreds of years.
- The airy structure of umbellifers makes them uniquely beautiful in death.
- Example sentences
- Another way of accentuating the flavour is by adding a little of one of their umbelliferous relatives: celery leaves, fennel seeds, chervil, or parsley.
- Cumin seeds are an umbelliferous herb indigenous to Egypt.
- Those with strong antioxidant activity include garlic, soybeans, cabbage and umbelliferous vegetables, such as carrot and celery.
Early 18th century: from obsolete French umbellifère, from Latin umbella 'parasol' + -fer 'bearing'.
Words that rhyme with umbelliferpilfer • titfer • Jennifer
Definition of umbellifer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.