Definition of umbellifer in English:
A plant of the parsley family, having its flowers arranged in umbels.
- This is why it is important to have a good cross-section of indigenous plants that will host predators, such as umbellifers like fennel and dill that attract hoverfly larvae that eat aphids.
- The silphium plant, a sturdy umbellifer (though with some untypical features), was a regular Cyrenaic coin type for hundreds of years.
- The airy structure of umbellifers makes them uniquely beautiful in death.
- Example sentences
- Another way of accentuating the flavour is by adding a little of one of their umbelliferous relatives: celery leaves, fennel seeds, chervil, or parsley.
- Cumin seeds are an umbelliferous herb indigenous to Egypt.
- Those with strong antioxidant activity include garlic, soybeans, cabbage and umbelliferous vegetables, such as carrot and celery.
Definition of umbellifer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India