noun• informal , chiefly North American
- An umpire.More example sentences
- As long as the ump is consistent, minor differences in the strike zone from ump to ump can be accommodated.
- In the second inning, the umps ruled that a trapped ball by Rizzuto was an infield fly, and they permitted a double play when Rizzuto also ran down Les Fleming on the bases.
- Mariners skipper Lou Piniella stormed out of the dugout and angrily argued, but got nowhere as he stalked from ump to ump, his cap in hand.
early 20th century: abbreviation.
More definitions of umpDefinition of ump in:
- The US English dictionary