Definition of unacademic in English:
1Not adopting or characteristic of a scholarly approach or language: his language was refreshingly unacademic
More example sentences
- Contemporary subjects were not in themselves taboo, but Manet's moody treatment, his indistinct outlines and background - in short, his unacademic approach - offended the public eye.
- This was brought home to me at university where I had given a lecture on political rhetoric and had taken the opportunity to make fun, in passing, of this lady and her unacademic grasp of key political issues.
- Employing a method he dubs ‘outrageously unacademic,’ he deftly links the biblical text to contemporary situations that cry for justice.
1.1(Of a person) not suited or drawn to academic study.
- At school, Sayle was unacademic, uninterested and usually in trouble.
- I think it's a really good idea to let the unacademic kids leave school and study a trade.
- In many ways, especially among the scholarly men around her, she was regarded as a quite unacademic woman.
Definition of unacademic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan