Definition of unavailing in English:
Achieving little or nothing; ineffective: their efforts were unavailing
More example sentences
- And third, we have rights where ordinary economic and political levers of change prove unavailing in efforts to improve individual well-being.
- Having rejected an unavailing reformist road to socialism, they now believed they had reformed capitalism substantially enough that the interests of workers and capitalists coincided.
- The second response to the sterility objection - that a procreation requirement would be unduly intrusive - is equally unavailing.
ineffective, ineffectual, inefficacious, vain, in vain, futile, useless, unsuccessful, non-successful, nugatory, failed, fruitless, unproductive, profitless, unprofitable, pointless, to no avail, to no purpose, to no effect, abortive, inadequate
archaic for nought, bootless
- Example sentences
- Just occasionally, perhaps, we should have the humility to see the awfulness of the world that they inhabit, and which they strive so unavailingly to control.
- This is a mantra which must be engraved in the wall at Tannadice, because it's the line which Paul Sturrock repeated endlessly and unavailingly.
- They looked eagerly but unavailingly for ‘some business that we can carry on in connection with our trap-business, to which we can shift our help when our trap-trade slackens up.’
Words that rhyme with unavailingfailing, grayling, mailing, paling, railing, sailing, tailing, veiling, wailing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.