Not able to be avoided, prevented, or ignored; inevitable: the natural and unavoidable consequences of growing old
More example sentences
- Violations are more and more resented in places where previously they had been ignored or seen as unavoidable.
- Friday's reform package was therefore an unavoidable consequence of last year's breakdown.
- Drivers will face unavoidable delays while work is carried out on a new roundabout in Witham.
- Example sentences
- Inevitability means unavoidability, and if you think about what avoiding means, then you realize that in a deterministic world there's lots of avoidance.
- This leads me to believe that there is a certain amount of preference involved in being homosexual and it is not the unconditional unavoidability that homosexuals suggest.
- Williams has a comparable interrogative edge, a sense of the difficulty of doing justice to the complexity and sheer intractability of reality, and of the unavoidability of tragedy, conflict and fragmentariness.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|avoid¦able
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.