- 1Not conforming to or ordered by canon law.More example sentences
- That the doctrine of the filioque and its uncanonical insertion in the Latin creed present serious obstacles to the reconciliation of churches has long been clear.
- Only in 1832 a Synodal ukaz legitimized the uncanonical under-age tonsure.
- His appointment to Canterbury after the Norman Robert of Jumièges had been forced into exile was also deemed uncanonical by the papacy.
- 2Not belonging to a literary or other canon.More example sentences
- The implication of my original findings that uncanonical poets can surpass cultural marginalization is that the book will target both a traditional and modern readership.
- The selection criteria for literary material aims to be uncanonical, in representing the literature of a whole period rather than concentrating on major writers.
- More example sentences
- Proclus had been installed as bishop in the place of a bishop uncanonically thrust out to make room for him.
- The Ukrainian Church has seceded from the Patriarchate of Moscow where it was placed uncanonically and illegally.
- The same may be said of priests and deacons who uncanonically leave the jurisdiction of their bishop to whom they are bound by their priestly oath of allegiance.