noun (plural uncertainties)[mass noun]
- 1The state of being uncertain: times of uncertainty and dangerMore example sentences
unpredictability, unreliability, riskiness, chanciness, precariousness, unsureness; changeability, changeableness, variability, inconstancy, fitfulness, ficklenessunsureness, lack of certainty, indecision, irresolution, hesitancy, doubt, doubtfulness, wavering, vacillation, equivocation, vagueness, ambivalence, lack of conviction, disquiet, disquietude, wariness, chariness, scepticism; queries, questionstentativeness, unsureness, lack of confidence, diffidence, doubtfulness, doubt
- Perhaps this is explained because at times of uncertainty and change there is a degree of comfort in the past.
- Lesser goals will be blown off course in an environment of uncertainty and constant change.
- This is especially so in a profession where there is inherent unpredictability and uncertainty.
- 1.1 [count noun] (usually uncertainties) Something that is uncertain or that causes one to feel uncertain: financial uncertaintiesMore example sentences
- Odd tensions and feelings and questions and uncertainties and so on abound in my little head.
- Despite the various uncertainties surrounding it, it would be unwise to rule out this possibility.
- There are uncertainties surrounding the determination of the annual maintenance cost.