(Of a person’s behaviour or attitude towards others) unkind; unsympathetic: this uncharitable remark possibly arose out of jealousy
More example sentences
- Class antagonism has also encouraged rather uncharitable attitudes towards those who engage in charity work.
- Kentaro, for his part, was thinking uncharitable thoughts towards Camus.
- I suppose there was the inevitable, uncharitable flicker of hostility towards a woman who could, in this day and age, devote herself with such sycophantic subservience to men.
unkind, inconsiderate, thoughtless, insensitive, heedless, selfish, self-centred, mean, mean-spirited, unfriendly, unpleasant;
unforgiving, merciless, ruthless, harsh, severe, stern, hard, hard-hearted, censorious, uncompromising, inflexible, unfair
- Example sentences
- I am aware of the weakness of democracy, of its occasional stupidities and shallowness, its temptation to prefer the rabble-rousing spell binder, its habit of giving way to envy, hatred, malice and all uncharitableness.
- To give but one example, the kind of talk in which most of us indulge is morally evil and spiritually dangerous, for most of what we say is inspired by greed, sensuality, self-love, malice, uncharitableness or pure imbecility.
- Perhaps envy, malice and ‘all uncharitableness’ show up more vividly in an organisation committed to brotherly love.
- Example sentences
- Without uncharitably giving away Dolly's age, I'll say that the purpose of our 1978 Weekender story was to celebrate her 50th year in showbiz - and to mention that she first appeared onstage when she was 5.
- So what if she lost out on playing Scarlett O'Hara to Vivien Leigh; and so what if Dorothy Parker remarked, uncharitably but unforgettably, that Hepburn ‘ran the gamut of emotion from A to B’?
- ‘The funniest part is that most liberals watch the show but are so stupid that they're unaware they're being made fun of,’ he says, uncharitably.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|char¦it¦able
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.