Definition of unchivalrous in English:
(Of a man or his behaviour) discourteous, especially towards women.
- Unsurprisingly, Mr Manners took to blundering into my flat at 3.30 am in a most unchivalrous manner: blind drunk, ranting that his mother didn't love him.
- He opposed violence against women, because it was unchivalrous toward what he called the ‘weaker sex’.
- Americans have largely ignored the tell-all books by unchivalrous butlers, bodyguards, and companions.
- Example sentences
- Like Flaubert, Daudet was a syphilitic, boasting unchivalrously that he'd caught the disease from ‘a lady from the top drawer’.
- Also, the duellist in barely saluting his opponent and attacking with two weapons acted unchivalrously.
- In fact, he was renowned for spending more times in the air than being at home sorting domestic problems, which he unchivalrously has now handed over to his successor.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.