- 1Out of the ordinary; unusual: prostate cancer is not uncommon in men over 60 an uncommon nameMore example sentences
unusual, abnormal, rare, atypical, uncustomary, unconventional, unexpected, unfamiliar, strange, odd, curious, out of the ordinary, extraordinary, out of the way, outlandish, offbeat, irregular, deviant, novel, singular, peculiar, queer, bizarre, freakish, quirky, alienNorth American • informal off the wallrare, scarce, few and far between, thin on the ground, exceptional, abnormal, isolated, occasional, infrequent, irregular, sporadic; British out of the common• dated seldom
- And all four are very unusual and uncommon topics for discussion amongst friends.
- Such an ensemble was uncommon for ordinary ladies in the age, but Raven was far from ordinary.
- The case presented here represents an unusual presentation of an uncommon disease.
- 1.1 [attributive] Remarkably great (used for emphasis): an uncommon amount of noiseMore example sentences
- He does have an uncommon amount of common sense.
adverb[as submodifier] • archaic Back to top
- Remarkably: he was uncommon afraidMore example sentences
- I'm uncommon afraid of fire to-night.