Definition of uncommunicative in English:
Unwilling to talk or impart information: he had always been quiet and uncommunicative, having few friends the uncommunicative Emily disappeared
More example sentences
- Tolerance of long waiting times, lack of information, uncommunicative staff, and failures to seek patients' views and take account of their preferences is wearing thin.
- And if Namibians themselves are irritated, then imagine the impressions of the visitor or tourist who almost always meets an unfriendly and uncommunicative face?
- Duncan, a precocious, affectionate child, had failed to live up to his academic potential, and had become withdrawn and uncommunicative.
taciturn, reserved, shy, retiring, diffident, reticent, laconic, tongue-tied, at a loss for words, mute, quiet, unforthcoming, unconversational, untalkative, silent, tight-lipped, close-mouthed, guarded, secretive, secret, unresponsive, close, private, media-shy, distant, remote, aloof, withdrawn, stand-offish, unsociable, antisocial, unfriendly, clamlike, playing one's cards close to one's chest
archaic mumchance, retired
- Example sentences
- His work with Gray opened up the possibility of playing the self-destructive and chaotic, without ever allowing them to slip into something uncommunicatively self-pitying.
- Neither of us said anything, and Brixton was uncommunicatively engaged in reading a railroad report.
- However Hasselhoff is allowed to grunt uncommunicatively at them via a telephone as often as he likes.
- Example sentences
- The majority of the patients experienced a significant improvement in the areas of hostility, uncommunicativeness, uncooperativeness, and repetitive behavior.
- It seems unlikely that overnight my son has developed the male propensity for uncommunicativeness.
- Another character in the film, He Zhiuru, takes uncommunicativeness to the ultimate level; he has been mute since age five.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.