Definition of unconformable in English:
(Of rock strata in contact) marking a discontinuity in the geological record, and typically not having the same direction of stratification.
- In this transect, the contact between the Carboniferous strata and the volcanic sequence appears to be an unconformable sedimentary contact.
- Along much of its exposed length, the unconformable contact was intensely sheared during subsequent ductile deformation.
- At this locality, the upper layers of the Mishan Formation are truncated below the unconformable contact at the base of the overlying Agha Jari Formation.
- Example sentences
- These mid-Palaeozoic formations are unconformably overlain by the Carboniferous-Permian Pillahuinco Group.
- The most significant of the south-vergent thrusts is the Besal Thrust, which places basement rocks, unconformably overlain by rocks of the First Cover Sequence, on top of rocks of the Second Cover Sequence.
- These are unconformably overlain by Lower Carboniferous limestones of the Alapaevsk unit and cut by a Permian granite.
Definition of unconformable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia