(Of rock strata in contact) marking a discontinuity in the geological record, and typically not having the same direction of stratification.
More example sentences
- In this transect, the contact between the Carboniferous strata and the volcanic sequence appears to be an unconformable sedimentary contact.
- Along much of its exposed length, the unconformable contact was intensely sheared during subsequent ductile deformation.
- At this locality, the upper layers of the Mishan Formation are truncated below the unconformable contact at the base of the overlying Agha Jari Formation.
- More example sentences
- These mid-Palaeozoic formations are unconformably overlain by the Carboniferous-Permian Pillahuinco Group.
- The most significant of the south-vergent thrusts is the Besal Thrust, which places basement rocks, unconformably overlain by rocks of the First Cover Sequence, on top of rocks of the Second Cover Sequence.
- These are unconformably overlain by Lower Carboniferous limestones of the Alapaevsk unit and cut by a Permian granite.
Definition of unconformable in:
- The US English dictionary