Definition of unctuosity in English:
1The quality of being excessively flattering or ingratiating.
- The old bishop was famous for his unctuosity even in that unctuous age.
- We want an oleaginous minister, commonly called oily. We want him distinguished for his unctuosity.
- What did mere lack of physical beauty matter to one of his faith and denomination, to one of his social position and excessive unctuosity?
2The quality of being greasy or oily.
- Butter has been found in hollowed trunks of trees, where it had been hid so long, that it was become hard and almost friable, yet not devoid of unctuosity.
- The remarkable unctuosity of this plant has caused it to be applied to chaps, and as a pomatum to the hair.
- It is glycerine rather than glucose which gives a wine that kind of smoothness which might almost be called unctuosity.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.