Definition of unctuosity in English:
1The quality of being excessively flattering or ingratiating.
- His pitfalls have been unctuosity, on the one side, bravado on the other.
- We monks are treated with casual unctuosity by that portion of the citizenry that is neither Indian nor drunk and with utter indifference by that larger portion that is decidedly both.
- What did mere lack of physical beauty matter to one of his faith and denomination, to one of his social position and excessive unctuosity?
2The quality of being greasy or oily.
- When concentrated it is of an unctuosity approaching that of oil.
- The skin did not recover its natural smoothness and unctuosity, till after several weeks had elapsed.
- It is glycerine rather than glucose which gives a wine that kind of smoothness which might almost be called unctuosity.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.