Definition of undecidable in English:
1.1 Logic (Of a proposition or theorem) not able to be proved or disproved.
- All we could achieve by our mathematics would be non-constructive existence proofs that told us that they existed, in much the same manner that we can deduce the existence of undecidable propositions.
- Godel showed that in any formal system adequate for number theory there is an undecidable formula, that is, a formula such that neither it nor its negation can be proved.
- In Undecidable theories Tarski showed that group theory, lattices, abstract projective geometry, closure algebras and others mathematical systems are undecidable.
- Example sentences
- Such an attempt quickly presents the problem of undecidability, an interesting principle with wide-ranging implications.
- But, in the haze and visual undecidability of Lyons' St Albans facades, perhaps some remnants of both these lost ideals also hover.
- Such concepts point to the undecidability of affect, its existence in the self and the other, the film and the theorist.
Definition of undecidable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan