Definition of undecidable in English:
1.1 Logic (Of a proposition or theorem) not able to be proved or disproved.
- All we could achieve by our mathematics would be non-constructive existence proofs that told us that they existed, in much the same manner that we can deduce the existence of undecidable propositions.
- Godel showed that in any formal system adequate for number theory there is an undecidable formula, that is, a formula such that neither it nor its negation can be proved.
- In Undecidable theories Tarski showed that group theory, lattices, abstract projective geometry, closure algebras and others mathematical systems are undecidable.
- Example sentences
- Such an attempt quickly presents the problem of undecidability, an interesting principle with wide-ranging implications.
- But, in the haze and visual undecidability of Lyons' St Albans facades, perhaps some remnants of both these lost ideals also hover.
- Such concepts point to the undecidability of affect, its existence in the self and the other, the film and the theorist.
Definition of undecidable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.