- A sketch made by a painter as a preliminary guide and subsequently covered with layers of paint: he worked at great speed, with little reliance on cartoons or underdrawings [mass noun]: the relationship between the two artists is illuminated by comparison of the use of underdrawing in their early paintingsMore example sentences
- Del Sarto was a great proponent of drawing, and the underdrawings were typical of the way he worked.
- When the work was examined with a vidicon machine, it was revealed to have a vigorous and beautiful underdrawing.
- What we are looking at in essence is the underdrawing for an illuminated manuscript, an art form that we associate more with the Middle Ages than with the later Renaissance.
More definitions of underdrawingDefinition of underdrawing in:
- The US English dictionary