Definition of underscore in English:
Pronunciation: /ʌndəˈskɔː /
1.1(On a computer or typewriter keyboard) a short horizontal line _ on the baseline.
- The import filter offered to replace the hyphen with an underscore character, and other than the name change, the file read perfectly.
- For example, maybe you really hate typing underscore characters, so you don't use them when naming database tables or named constants.
- Variable names always start with a dollar sign and then have the variable name, which can have letters, numbers, or underscores but can't start with a number.
Pronunciation: /ˈʌndəskɔː /[with object] Back to top
1.1Emphasize: the company underscored the progress made with fuel cells
More example sentences
- That is certainly true, although it underscores the somewhat narrow focus and reach of his analysis.
- Your comment underscores for me why I think a movie using special effects would be an obscenity.
- The decision underscores once again, however, that for the Supreme Court, the rights of young people are shredded when they walk through the schoolhouse gates.
Definition of underscore in:
- US English dictionary