1.1(On a computer or typewriter keyboard) a short horizontal line _ on the baseline.
- The import filter offered to replace the hyphen with an underscore character, and other than the name change, the file read perfectly.
- For example, maybe you really hate typing underscore characters, so you don't use them when naming database tables or named constants.
- Variable names always start with a dollar sign and then have the variable name, which can have letters, numbers, or underscores but can't start with a number.
- It was not uncommon for respondents to heavily underscore the words ‘secure job with a pension’ in their answers to my question about why they went to university.
1.1Emphasize: the company underscored the progress made with fuel cells
More example sentences
- That is certainly true, although it underscores the somewhat narrow focus and reach of his analysis.
- Your comment underscores for me why I think a movie using special effects would be an obscenity.
- The decision underscores once again, however, that for the Supreme Court, the rights of young people are shredded when they walk through the schoolhouse gates.
Words that rhyme with underscoreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: under|score
Definition of underscore in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.