Definition of undershoot in English:
verb (past and past participle undershot)
Pronunciation: /ʌndəˈʃuːt/[with object]
1(Of an aircraft) land short of (the runway): that approach path will cause the aircraft to undershoot the landing field [no object]: open the full air brake after the final turn to check you can undershoot
More example sentences
- In the full knowledge that nonpilots judge you by your landings, I undershot the runway by 100 ft, fortunately without damage.
- I kept the engine running just in case I undershot the landing place until I was around 50 ft above the field.
- They either undershot or overshot whilst attempting to land on an aircraft carrier.
2Fall short of (a point or target): the figure undershot the government’s original estimate
More example sentences
- If we focus on the profile of inflation over the last two years or so, the period over which the MPG has had more influence, there has indeed been a tendency for inflation to undershoot the target.
- If the manager calls the market wrong and the scheme undershoots its target, investors could end up with less money than they put in.
- Based on trends to end August, tax receipts could undershoot the target by up to £2bn, putting an enormous hole in the £2.5 bn surplus target.
Pronunciation: /ˈʌndəʃuːt/Back to top
An act of undershooting.
- If this continues, there is likely to be a major undershoot in public capital spending again this year.
- However, set against disappointment here has been an undershoot in government spending, with central government spending plus investment up by 5.7% year on year against a Budget forecast of 7.2% growth.
Words that rhyme with undershootacute, argute, astute, beaut, Beirut, boot, bruit, brut, brute, Bute, butte, Canute, cheroot, chute, commute, compute, confute, coot, cute, depute, dilute, dispute, flute, galoot, hoot, impute, jute, loot, lute, minute, moot, newt, outshoot, permute, pollute, pursuit, recruit, refute, repute, route, salute, Salyut, scoot, shoot, Shute, sloot, snoot, subacute, suit, telecommute, Tonton Macoute, toot, transmute, uproot, Ute, volute
Definition of undershoot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.